Making Curriculum Pop

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get
reviews on approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or information
about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key
question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading
level/grade/students would benefit from reading the text. If it is not
suited for the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the
appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

Again have fun...after the
class is done you can still keep those reviews coming on the NING and
talk to each other about what your are reading for the year.
on people of the week!!!

Views: 121

Replies to This Discussion

The author is S.A. Bodeen. I can't believe I skipped over that!
Should YAL be actively posing political queries and challenging its readers?

Yes; but, the answers they come to are of lesser importance than the process by which they come to them. At this age, it is all process, not product. Getting them to think about these things is the first step toward making informed and mature decisions.
Here are the links related to the book (the first link includes an interview with the author)

http://girlsinthestacks.com/reviews/ya-novel/2010/11/review-the-gar...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7173435-the-gardener
My Abandonment by Peter Rock

Summary:
My Abandonment is inspired by a true story – which is pretty incredible to think about once you read the book. 13-year-old Caroline lives with her father in Forest Park (a huge forest preserve) right outside of Portland, Oregon. Told from her point of view, Caroline and her father seem to live a happy existence in the park, residing in a small “cave” (a huge hole dug in the ground with branches and stuff as the roof). They have lots of books and a little Coleman stove and go to the city every two weeks to get supplies and to deposit father’s check (he’s a veteran).

One day, a jogger spots Caroline hiding in the trees and tells the police. Once Caroline and father are found, they are separated and brought in for a physical and mental evaluation and questioning. Caroline is healthy and actually intellectually advanced for her age. Since there are no sighs of foul play, the authorities take pity on their situation and find father a job on a farm with a small house that he and Caroline can live.

Once on the farm, father becomes increasingly parinoid thinking that everyone is a spy and out to get them. Caroline likes the comfort of their home but also trusts father and knows that they are “different” and people don’t “understand” her and father, so she runs away from the farm with father. Caroline and father travel in the snow, take buses to different cities and have to pretend like they don’t know each other (since someone is following them). Life becomes increasing uncertain and unsafe.

Ok…I’m going to stop now because I don’t want to give the book away and there are some serious twists to this book. If anyone has questions about what happens I’ll just answer in my reply.

Connection to YA Criteria:
We get an innocent and childlike point-of-view from Caroline, which as an adult I can identify as such. Caroline’s life and story is so crazy and unique; I’m not sure if YAs would really relate to her but I think they would really enjoy the story. I would not consider this book face-paced, I actually thought the first half of the book dragged. Once I got near the end though, I couldn’t put the book down. This book is really about Caroline and father, so the parental aspect is a huge part of the book. There are not many kids in this book, most of the other characters are adults. A lot of the issues in this book are more adult, the whole idea of living off the grid, without government and modern civilization. The themes of family and trust are pretty interesting in this book, because it seems as though family and trust are violated in the most deceitful of ways. I would maybe teach this book if I had the time when talking about writers like Thoreau or Emerson. I think they would have though Caroline and father were living life in the best way (without succumbing to what "the man" thinks is right) and becoming one with nature. I would at least put the book in my class library or recommend it for summer reading.

Personal Response:
I was bored of this book at first but then was surprised/shocked by the events in the second part of the book and now I am really interested in this story now (the fact that it is true) and want to find out more! I think the fact that we see the story from Caroline’s eyes blinds us from what is really happening, so that we can’t really predict what is to come. I found the ending to be sad and a little depressing but the author describes this book as “a stirring tale of survival and hope” - so what do I know!

Links:
This is a link to a video where the author, Peter Rock, discusses the true story of his characters and how he became interested in writing a book about them. From this video I learned that pretty much the first half of the book is all true and the second half of the book is fiction. After reading this book I was really interested in finding out what the real story was behind the characters of Caroline and Father so this is a good link for that ☺
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8E5CcZPJ14

This is an interesting blog post about the book, I would only read this if you have read the book already as it gives a different interpretation and would make you see the characters in a different light. This post is also interesting because the blogger is from the area where the book was set and knows about the forest and kinds of people who live there.

http://prairiemary.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-abandonment-by-peter-roc...
I think this is funny, but I forgot that you had said at the beginning of your post that this was a true story until I got to the resources link. That's how good your post was! The book sounds really good. I do have a question though, does this book really complement Thoureau and/or Emerson? It sounds really dark... I also didn't see what grade you would assign this book to. It seems to me that it would be more appropriate for the upper grades. Is that what you were intending?
I don't think this was a dark story, especially since it was told from Caroline's point of view. She really loved her life and nature and truly believed that nature could provide everything one needed. As an adult outsider, I was able to see that she was kind of brainwashed and had a different opinion of her character and if she was truly happy at the end of the book. I think this could be taught to sophomores - seniors.
a book that is slightly different and very true and actually very horrific that you might be interested in reading, is "The Federal Seige of Ruby Ridge" which is actually written by one of the men who lived through this. It was really upsetting and frightening, not a YA literature book but still very good and interesting
Some parents may have objections to that text. That is, the son/daughter of a parent employed in Law Enforcement, may object to their child reading a text which, in their opinion, is a negative (if not evil) portrayal of law enforcemnt. However, these same parents might object to you teaching about the murder of Fred Hampton by the CPD; and, while the reality that law enforcement does not always act justly/legally, the truth should be taught, regardless.
The argument then becomes what is the real truth.
...which is an irresolvable question; but, in my opinion, a great one for a classroom.

yep

Danielle,
This book sounds so interesting and very unique! It is definitely a storyline unlike any other that I have heard of before. I couldn't believe this was based on a true story! That is so incredible that this girl and her father were basically living in the woods. As soon as I read that part, I also thought of Thoreau and Emerson! I actually just got done reading about Thoreau and Emerson in two of my classes, so they also came to mind for me. I'm not sure if you are willing to say or not because I don't want to spoil this for anyone who is going to read it, but I am so curious on why the father felt everyone was a spy and out to get them? Also, is there a particular reason that they live in this forest preserve? Did something happen to the father and/or daughter to make them want to live there or was it just because they felt everyone was out to get them? I'm sure Thoreau and Emerson would be proud and happy to see these two living out in the woods though, especially Thoreau as he lived in the woods, too!

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service