Making Curriculum Pop

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get
reviews on approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or information
about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key
question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading
level/grade/students would benefit from reading the text. If it is not
suited for the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the
appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

Again have fun...after the
class is done you can still keep those reviews coming on the NING and
talk to each other about what your are reading for the year.
on people of the week!!!

Views: 121

Replies to This Discussion

A third book in a trilogy make it hard to connect. Usually they say that on the book jacket.
Good summary...even if you were lost.

Author: David Gill

Summary: The only thing, of any “value”, that Eunice “Bug” Smoot has is a cool car. Specifically, the 58’ Cadillac Biarritz, left to her by her deceased grandfather. However, soon, even Bug’s car is in danger as she faces off with a demon. This demon, half-undead + half car salesman, is intent on repossessing the vehicle that he traded for a human soul—the soul of Bug’s grandfather.

Bug has always struggled. Recently orphaned for the third time, following the death of her grandfather, Eunice “Bug” Smoot is stuggling with the realities of living in the adult world, and trying to go it alone. She finds that being biracial, however, presents its own unique dilemma. Neither of her respective races is accepting of the other. That is, Bug is grappling with a Tejano society that rejects her “blackness”; and an African American community that discards her as “just Tejano”. Moreover, she is struggling to make ends meat in a society in which people of color often are met with greater adversity than their pastier peers. The car in question, her dead granddad’s 58’ Biarritz, is her lifeline; allowing her to work as a pizza delivery person.

When the demon arrives to repossess her car, Bug is shocked to discover the deal her grandfather entered in to. Even I wouldn’t sell my soul for a car; though, I might sell a kidney for a classic Land Rover. Luckily, however, Bug’s “main squeeze”, is a part-time employee of the “International Supernatural Immigration Service”, in the area of Waste Management [makes me laugh every time]. This is when things get really interesting, and entertaining, as her love-interest Pesto begins to help her attempt to “deport the ‘illegal’”. The means of exorcising the demon include such hilarity as a pizza delivery contest, however, soon even Bug’s soul is on the line. With the help of her love interest, the abovementioned Pesto, and a lawyer (who’s area of expertise is, well, “supernatural” at best), Bug must keep her car and prevent this demon from reeking havoc (e.g. plagues, locust, etc.…the usual) on the world.

I wont give away the ending; but I will say that, as the action and intrigue intensify, “Bug” evolves into a very unique, though admirable, protagonist. Ultimately, although there are male supporting characters, I think that students will connect to “Bug” regardless of race or sex.

YA Criteria:

• YA authors write from the viewpoint of young people: This story is told from the point of view of the protagonist Eunice “Bug” Smoot. Moreover, this POV is very genuine; it reflects the humor and cynicism often associated with YA’s. HOWEVER, the protagonist is older than the typical YA (hs graduate); regardless, I think that Bug is a character with whom most YAs can foster a connection.

• YA lit gets ride of parents so the young person is free to take credit for his/her own accomplishments: Yes, and no. The parental and/or adult figures are often, if not always, somewhat tarnished. The lawyer and other adults often help to focus the story of the YAs; that is, the juxtaposition between adult and YA characters serves to underscore the novel’s emphasis on the YA experience.

• YA Lit is fast paced: The novel is 328 pages. Consequently, it is a relatively lengthy YA text. However, the novel is definitely a “page turner”, because of the action and humor. Moreover, the writing style lends itself to a relaxed reading session, in which, hopefully, a YA reader will lose him or herself and forget how long/much they’ve read. The vernacular used by Gill, to narrate the novel, also succeeds in making you feel as if you’re reading the first hand account of a YA—consequently, YA’s should feel really comfortable with reading this text.

• YA Lit includes a variety of genres and subjects: This addresses religious subjects (demons, souls, etc.), personal/moral choices (would you sell your soul; if so, for what), and it employs material from a plethora of genres. There is humor in the novel, the narration of Bug, specifically her descriptions of other characters, is often hysterical; but also reflects how cruel and/or hurtful YA’s can be (e.g. girl called “Tangleye”). Moreover, the dramatic elements are prevalent in the story’s latter demon-based plot, and in the opening social-based story.

• The body of work includes stories about characters from different ethnic and cultural groups: Definitely. The experiences of Bug, as a biracial person, really hit home for me. My best friend, Wayne, is biracial (Caucasian and African American) and he has expressed a similar dilemma. Moreover, the novels supporting cast members are “’ethnic’” characters; indeed, the demon is called “an illegal” that they are trying to deport. [I was put-off by this “immigration debate” terminology, I must admit]

• YA books are optimistic with characters making worthy accomplishments: The novel is optimistic. The narration is often the crux of this optimism. Eunice “Bug” Smoot is not a character who allows for herself to easily be defeated, nor does she give up without a fight. Moreover, I would say that, saving the universe from a demon, qualifies a “worth accomplishments”… at least, saving a classic Cadillac is a “noble” accomplishment.

• Successful YA novels deal with emotions that are important to young adults: Surely. This novel deals with racial anxiety, romantic emotions, financial stress, family/domestic issues, etc. The novel despite its fictional plot has a solid and genuine emotional narrative.

Recommendation: I would recommend this text. I found it to be entertaining, while also presenting multiple opportunities for academic discussion. Moreover, I believe that the protagonist Bug is an admirable character and one YAs would connect with. Ultimately, the novel is well written, meets criteria, and succeeds in establishing a believable and entertaining YA story.

Links:
• Interview with author- http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/2009/04/author-interview-da...
• Review from teensreadtoo.com- http://www.teensreadtoo.com/SoulEnchilada.html

*Warning the Link below May Offend*

I provided this link because I was interested by the idea of ‘selling ones soul’ and went to the web. This is what I found, at first, and thought that it may be of interest to my peers. I merely thought that, even though the novel is fictional, if some acknowledge that the practice of ‘selling your soul’ exists, than that information may. I am not endorsing the Satanism website; nor do I endorse the views and/or beliefs espoused by this site.

• “Selling Your Soul to Satan: A How-To Manual” : http://www.dpjs.co.uk/sell.html
I love the humor in this book, the summary definitely makes me want to read it and I feel could also really help students excited to read it as well. I also like the ideas of the protagonist being biracial and struggling financially. I feel it helps modernize the story even more and help students connect with it, especially biracial and/or students in low-income situations as we do sadly enough have high school students struggling to help make ends meet.

Author: David Gill

Summary: The only thing, of any “value”, that Eunice “Bug” Smoot has is a cool car. Specifically, the 58’ Cadillac Biarritz, left to her by her deceased grandfather. However, soon, even Bug’s car is in danger as she faces off with a demon. This demon, half-undead + half car salesman, is intent on repossessing the vehicle that he traded for a human soul—the soul of Bug’s grandfather.

Bug has always struggled. Recently orphaned for the third time, following the death of her grandfather, Eunice “Bug” Smoot is stuggling with the realities of living in the adult world, and trying to go it alone. She finds that being biracial, however, presents its own unique dilemma. Neither of her respective races is accepting of the other. That is, Bug is grappling with a Tejano society that rejects her “blackness”; and an African American community that discards her as “just Tejano”. Moreover, she is struggling to make ends meat in a society in which people of color often are met with greater adversity than their pastier peers. The car in question, her dead granddad’s 58’ Biarritz, is her lifeline; allowing her to work as a pizza delivery person.

When the demon arrives to repossess her car, Bug is shocked to discover the deal her grandfather entered in to. Even I wouldn’t sell my soul for a car; though, I might sell a kidney for a classic Land Rover. Luckily, however, Bug’s “main squeeze”, is a part-time employee of the “International Supernatural Immigration Service”, in the area of Waste Management [makes me laugh every time]. This is when things get really interesting, and entertaining, as her love-interest Pesto begins to help her attempt to “deport the ‘illegal’”. The means of exorcising the demon include such hilarity as a pizza delivery contest, however, soon even Bug’s soul is on the line. With the help of her love interest, the abovementioned Pesto, and a lawyer (who’s area of expertise is, well, “supernatural” at best), Bug must keep her car and prevent this demon from reeking havoc (e.g. plagues, locust, etc.…the usual) on the world.

I wont give away the ending; but I will say that, as the action and intrigue intensify, “Bug” evolves into a very unique, though admirable, protagonist. Ultimately, although there are male supporting characters, I think that students will connect to “Bug” regardless of race or sex.

YA Criteria:

• YA authors write from the viewpoint of young people: This story is told from the point of view of the protagonist Eunice “Bug” Smoot. Moreover, this POV is very genuine; it reflects the humor and cynicism often associated with YA’s. HOWEVER, the protagonist is older than the typical YA (hs graduate); regardless, I think that Bug is a character with whom most YAs can foster a connection.

• YA lit gets ride of parents so the young person is free to take credit for his/her own accomplishments: Yes, and no. The parental and/or adult figures are often, if not always, somewhat tarnished. The lawyer and other adults often help to focus the story of the YAs; that is, the juxtaposition between adult and YA characters serves to underscore the novel’s emphasis on the YA experience.

• YA Lit is fast paced: The novel is 328 pages. Consequently, it is a relatively lengthy YA text. However, the novel is definitely a “page turner”, because of the action and humor. Moreover, the writing style lends itself to a relaxed reading session, in which, hopefully, a YA reader will lose him or herself and forget how long/much they’ve read. The vernacular used by Gill, to narrate the novel, also succeeds in making you feel as if you’re reading the first hand account of a YA—consequently, YA’s should feel really comfortable with reading this text.

• YA Lit includes a variety of genres and subjects: This addresses religious subjects (demons, souls, etc.), personal/moral choices (would you sell your soul; if so, for what), and it employs material from a plethora of genres. There is humor in the novel, the narration of Bug, specifically her descriptions of other characters, is often hysterical; but also reflects how cruel and/or hurtful YA’s can be (e.g. girl called “Tangleye”). Moreover, the dramatic elements are prevalent in the story’s latter demon-based plot, and in the opening social-based story.

• The body of work includes stories about characters from different ethnic and cultural groups: Definitely. The experiences of Bug, as a biracial person, really hit home for me. My best friend, Wayne, is biracial (Caucasian and African American) and he has expressed a similar dilemma. Moreover, the novels supporting cast members are “’ethnic’” characters; indeed, the demon is called “an illegal” that they are trying to deport. [I was put-off by this “immigration debate” terminology, I must admit]

• YA books are optimistic with characters making worthy accomplishments: The novel is optimistic. The narration is often the crux of this optimism. Eunice “Bug” Smoot is not a character who allows for herself to easily be defeated, nor does she give up without a fight. Moreover, I would say that, saving the universe from a demon, qualifies a “worth accomplishments”… at least, saving a classic Cadillac is a “noble” accomplishment.

• Successful YA novels deal with emotions that are important to young adults: Surely. This novel deals with racial anxiety, romantic emotions, financial stress, family/domestic issues, etc. The novel despite its fictional plot has a solid and genuine emotional narrative.

Recommendation: I would recommend this text. I found it to be entertaining, while also presenting multiple opportunities for academic discussion. Moreover, I believe that the protagonist Bug is an admirable character and one YAs would connect with. Ultimately, the novel is well written, meets criteria, and succeeds in establishing a believable and entertaining YA story.

Links:
• Interview with author- http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/2009/04/author-interview-da...
• Review from teensreadtoo.com- http://www.teensreadtoo.com/SoulEnchilada.html

*Warning the Link below May Offend*

I provided this link because I was interested by the idea of ‘selling ones soul’ and went to the web. This is what I found and thought that it may be of interest to my peers. I merely thought that, even though the novel is fictional, some groups believe that the practice of ‘selling your soul’ exists, and that information may be relevant. I am not endorsing the Satanism website; nor do I endorse the views and/or beliefs espoused by this site.

• “Selling Your Soul to Satan: A How-To Manual” : http://www.dpjs.co.uk/sell.html
Thanks for the disclaimer, but you are right to think with caution. So many topics are controversial.
Yeah, I was nervous.

P.s. I did not mean to double-post. I apologize.

The book I read was “If I Stay” by Gayle Forman. It’s about a teenager named Mia. It is Thanksgiving Day; her and her family decide to drive to her grandparents’ house. While they are driving, a truck hits the side, and they experience a severe car crash. Her whole family, consisting of her parents and brother, are all thrown out of the car. She gets up and realizes that her parents have died. She cannot find her brother, and believes that he may still be alive since she does not see him. Soon after, she sees her body on the ground. She realizes that she is the body on the ground, as well as herself watching the body. Her and her brother are taken to different hospitals, where they are treated. Mia is so confused and hurt, wishing people could hear and see her. Her family and friends come to the hospital to visit her. For most of the story, she reflects on her relationship with her best friend Kim, boyfriend Adam, and her parents. She thinks about the positive and the negatives of the relationships. She finds out that her brother has also passed away. She has to make a choice about whether she wants to stay in the real world or go away with her family. They are pretty much everything she has had, and she doesn’t know what she would do without them. On the other hand, she has her boyfriend Adam who she loves so much. She also has her grandparents and best friend who are waiting for her to be okay. While she is in a coma, they came in to speak with her. Her grandmother believed in angels, and her grandfather wondered if she was going to become one. He wondered if her life would flash before her eyes. When he came in to speak with her, he was giving her permission to move on and be with her parents. He wouldn’t blame her for wanting to leave. Mia was worried to hear from Adam because she would be torn on a decision. His last say made her realize that she would be leaving behind so much, and she needed to give her choice a second thought. At the end of the story, Mia’s choice is not clearly depicted, but readers can assume. She moves, and therefore, readers are left to think about what they want, in which I read it as that she chose to live.

This book is written from the viewpoint of a young adult, Mia. Her parents are literally removed; Mia is to take credit of her own accomplishments. The experience she goes through is a difficult one for her. The decision she has to make is also tough for a young adult. She may feel she has nothing to live for because her family is gone, but that is not true. There are still other people that care about her. This book focuses on a variety of genres and subjects. The book focuses on important themes such as death, love, family, friends, and choices. This book was not very optimistic. It started off on a bad note. It was unfortunate that Mia lost her parents, and was in two places at once. She had to deal with a situation that not many teenagers have to deal with. The situation is something that teenagers could relate to because of her age. Also, because she tells about her normal live, which is very similar to that of many young adults. This book deals with emotions that are important to young adults. The book deals with death, love, confusion, and sadness.

Here is a link to the author, Gayle Forman’s website: http://www.gayleforman.com/ You can view information on the other books she has written.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was very heartbreaking, and I think it would be a good read for young adults. I do not think if I would teach it in the classroom, but I would definitely recommend it to students. There are so many lessons teenagers could learn from reading this book: one’s life can be taken at any moment, one will have to make difficult decisions in life, one will have to choose between family and friends at times, etc.
Christina read this, too. Read her review!
Wow, this book definitely comes off like a very strong one. Though you said you wouldn't teach it to a whole class you could definitely have great discussions about the story. However, even if one or two students pick this book to read for a class project/essay I'm sure the outcome would be a great one. I found it especially touching how her grandfather told her he wouldn't blame her for not staying. I know I've been in her grandfather's shoes and I definitely see this book hitting hard.

This sounds like a great read. A lot of YA novels focus on teens having to make a difficult, life-changing decision, but they often deal with issues like college, teen parenthood, drugs and other (for lack of a better word) "normal" situations. However, Mia is not only choosing between friends, love and family, but she's literally torn between life and death. Nobody actually has that choice, and I think this book would push readers to ponder what they would decide to do if given the chance.

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher is a futuristic, science fantasy novel about a massive, omniscient, omnipotent prison. The inmates of Incarceron have been left for hundreds of years inside a prison so large it has its own ecosystem. People die and are born inside the prison and many doubt that an “outside” even exists. Ironically, the world outside the prison is under the impression that it is a self-contained utopia, even though no one but the warden is allowed contact with it. Finn, member of the most threatening gang of thieves in the prison, is suspected to have been born from the prison when he arrived mysteriously at a young age with no memory. Claudia, the warden’s wily daughter, dreads her approaching wedding to the prince of their country as she is not entirely convinced that her original fiancée (the late prince of the former dynasty) had not been murdered by the queen. With the help of his oath-brother, the wise-man of the village, and a former slave, Finn abandons his tribe and embarks on a journey to find a way out of Incarceron. Simultaneously, Claudia is diving deeper and deeper into the treasonous plots and hidden secrets of her world. Through the powers of a mysterious key Claudia discovers Finn and dedicates herself to helping him find a way out.
The pace of the novel is relatively quick, but lulls at several points, and its 440 pages would only attract confident teen readers. Adults are not entirely removed from this novel. They are friends, guides, and enemies to the protagonists but exist much on the same level as the teenagers they supposedly have power over. They depend on the abilities of the teens as much as the teens depend on them, which indicates that the teens are coming into adulthood. The perspective of the novel is 3rd person, but rarely leaves the side of Claudia or Finn. The contrasting settings of the “free” aristocracy and the captives of Incarceron demonstrates the novel’s recognition of heros in different classes and cultures. The prevailing concerns of the protagonists are discovering identity and achieving recognition of their capabilities and powers. These concerns, among others, are important to teenagers as they make their transition into adulthood.
So, I didn’t know books had trailers. Thought I’d include it for fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMRFsTwwj_U&feature=related
And here is a more legitimate review on a blog that specifically reviews YAL!
http://www.yahighway.com/2010/05/incarceron-book-review.html
My opinion is mixed. It has a great premise, very compelling, and held my interest well in to the second hundred pages. The last couple hundred pages droned on, much like the show Lost, with a dull throbbing desire to hear the ending and have my dozens of questions explained. The characters were thankfully not stagnant, but they lacked a consistency in their personalities to distinguish them in a way that makes them comfortable or familiar. I would recommend it for ages 12 and up, for scenes of graphic violence. Depending on taste, anyone might enjoy this book for its fantasy, steam-punk, or dystopian elements. It’s a viable heir to the Harry Potter dynasty. I can’t see this novel being useful in the classroom, especially due to its length. It could be useful in a book club to discuss the uses and methods of the penal system.

How did I miss this review? Anyway, I spotted this book a few weeks ago and I was really interested in reading it. It doesn't sound like the most intellectually stimulating book, but I wouldn't mind getting drawn into some fantasy for a few hours.

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service