Making Curriculum Pop

Please post your discussion regarding graphic novels here:

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get reviews on
approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or
information about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading level/grade/students would
benefit from reading the text. If it is not suited for
the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

You will enjoy this and have fun on the NING. This is a professional Ning that will be every useful to your in your teaching.

Enjoy.

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

These links are so good for reference.
Thanks, Danielle.
Thank you for the link, Danielle. From what you were telling me on Saturday, I think it sounds like a really good and interesting, touching story! I'm looking forward to reading it and I think it sounds like YAs could really resonate with it, even if they haven't been close to a similar situation.
I, too, have an affinity for books set in Chicago. For the Chicago YA, the setting would create an even stronger connection to the material. Like Danielle said in her review, the references the kids are familiar with will draw them in.

I definitely will be looking for this book. From Danielle's review, it sounds like one I would be interested in. I want to be a School Counselor when I "grow up". I am fascinated by the dynamics of how youth get involved in gangs.

Thanks for the great review.
This book seems very touching and just by reading what you wrote makes me want to go out and get the book. Its a hard call to say rather he lived worse than he died or if he died worse than he lived. On one hand he lacked a lot of the things a young boy his age needs as far as love and support but on the other hand the people who he turned to and was supposed to be his "family" turned against him and killed him. Its all just very sad that things like this happen and there is very little that will be done about it. Books like this are hard reads because they strike a lot of emotions. I think that young adults would like this book.
Danielle,

This book sounds absolutely amazing to read. Just the emotional connection anyone could have to the book is amazing. I definately think you have it right saying it would be a nice introduction piece to a more complex text. I remember reading in six grade a book called scorpians that was about two young boys in a gang. This text you read, would really make it come alive since it really did happen and things like that do happen every day.

Since you brought it up Danielle. What have you come to conclude in asking yourself "what can be done?"

Can you also clarify why roger was not involved in the gang or did not seem to be involved in the gang even through his brother was?
Roger wanted to be part of the gang at one point but his brother told him he couldn't and to stay at home. His brother said he was keeping the family safe and that was his job, not Roger's job. Roger had someone looking out for his best interests (including two parents). At the end of the story Roger's brother wants to leave the gang.

As for the more difficult question of "what can be done"...I wish I had a good answer! I've been doing observation hours at Dunbar High School and often ask myself this question. I see so many kids at this school who are failing, no showing up to school, not doing the work, and who just don't care. Even the kids that do care are getting a 15 on their ACT. I really think it starts with the parents. By the time these kids are in high school, even elementary school, a lot of the damage has already been done. For example, yesterday on my way to class on the el I saw a teen mom with her son (about 1 years old) and her two friends. They didn't look like "bad" kids, not "gang banger" types, but the language they used and stuff they talked about (the baby's mom was talking about how her boyfriend was going to pull out an gun on some guy who called her a bitch or something - like a gun?!?!) and it really made me wonder what type of life this kid is going to have. And this situation I saw on the el is not uncommon, and not even the worst I have seen. I think these poverty stricken neighborhoods breed violence and ignorance and the cycle continues. There has to be a way to give education and hope of a better life to these kids, to break the cycle.
I know we talk about this in Linda's class a lot, but I really do think that the responsibility lies in our hands. I am not saying that parents should not be held accountable, because I definately do, but so our teachers. I am not saying that it is fair that we not only have to teach them, but we have to be a support system for the students. We have to be there to guide them to make better decisions. I think over the years, the role of the teacher has become so much more then what it began as. There is the weight of the world on teachers shoulders and I do not believe everyone realizes that. Its unfortunate, but I truely do believe teachers can change lives. We just have to be there for them in almost a nagging way at times depending on the student. But your right there is no concrete answer on what can be done and that a lot of it starts at home.
Responsibility has been in our hands for a long time; it is societal right now. More parents are not home to direct kids...and then,there is the economic situation. It is a different time.
Wow this story sounds really interesting!! I also love books that are set in Chicago; it gives us natives a great way to relate. I think that this would be a fantastic read for students. Although I have not read it, (yet!) I do feel that this type of storyline involving gang violence with younger people can be a great awareness for students. What I think also makes this a great read for students is the fact that it is a real-life occurrence happening in our society today unfortunately. It almost seems like gang violence is at an all time high right now as not a day goes by without the mention of a gang shooting on the news. It is such a shame that people fall into this dark place and join a gang. I love how Roger's brother told him not to be in the gang. Having him as his brother, along with two great parents, Roger was extremely fortunate that joining a gang was not in his future. I think a lot of younger men nowadays feel that being in a gang is their job and their responsibility. It seems so incredibly sad what happened to Yummy. When involved in a gang though, the outcome can very well be an end to someone's life. In this case, Yummy's fate was already sealed by that gang.

I feel that there are many factors that determine how a younger person will end up. I agree with Nikkie and also think that teachers are hugely responsible for helping and guiding their students. I also think that it is not always enough unfortunately. Family life and where a person lives can also have great effects on what may come of their future. Friends play a significant role, too. I do think some people just get stuck meeting the wrong people and if there is a lack of a support system at home, the person has no choice but to hang out with these "wrong people." While I do think some young people have the choice and choose the wrong one by joining a gang, I also believe that some young people are almost forced to which is really sad. The gang violence in Chicago needs to stop, and I am hoping it does sooner rather than later.
Every kid is in a unique situation that influences their decisions in ways that we may not always understand. Consequently, the "what can be done" question is one that does not apply on the meta level. Rather, with each nuanced individual student comes a unique answer to the "what can be done question". The important thing- is that we keep asking the question and thinking about answers. Once we stop asking ourselves what we can do, we're failing in our jobs as educators and shirking our responsibilities as members of society.
We would not do what we do unless we felt hope! Each student has his/her own story and we work with that context.
It seems that you picked out a really great book, I must admit I'm a bit jealous! I'm definitely going to add this novel to my list of books I want to read. I feel this book would definitely be a popular book for students as it seems that a lot of young adults enjoy reading books about gangs. Also, the fact that the story is not glorifying gangs also seems to be a great thing as it may even help discourage students from joining gangs and/or even think that they are cool.

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service