Making Curriculum Pop

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get
reviews on approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or information
about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key
question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading
level/grade/studentswouldbenefit from reading the text. If it is not
suited for the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the
appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

Again have fun...after the class is done you can still keep those reviews coming on the NING and talk to each other about what your are reading for the year!

Pam

Pam

Views: 143

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a link to a wonderful website that provides some additional insights into this text. Also, lucky for you, it has a "Readers also purchased" list, on the right of the page, that provides you with some wonderfully entertaining and direly essential Zombie -literature. This is embarrassing, but I must confess that I own all of texts they've listed and, seriously, it's a really great list for those who are interested in all things Zombie. Happy reading- http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/dc24/
im sorry, reading your description, I could not help but laugh uncontrolably. this book sounds like it is a lot of fun. I am definately jealous that you read this book
It is "fun", I think that is the best description, simply an enjoyable and entertaining read. Maybe I'll bring the sound module to SEED 350 and try to scare our class?
I feel that you should definitely use this any way you can in your classroom. Your enthusiasm for this subject connected with something else such as you mentioned colloquialism can make for a really fun lesson or two, and something your students will for sure remember!
Alex, this sounds so funny and so you! I can see where it would not necessarily work in the classroom for educational purposes and yet I truly hope you get the chance to teach this book in a zombie-themed class because I can tell you would be great at it. I'm looking forward to sending your review to a friend of mine who would love to be your co-teacher and is also all about everything-zombies.
You are too fun!!!
I have had MB's zombie book in my hands so many time...I will have to buy it. I am glad that you are enjoying this.

Walking Dead is getting rave reviews...How did  you get hooked on zombies?

Scrawl by Mark Shulman
Wow. Finally, a book worth keeping in the dust jacket and on a special place on the book shelf.
Scrawl is a novel told in the first person by high school delinquent Tod Munn. Tod is sentenced to daily, after-school detention where he is forced to write in a journal read only by the school guidance counselor. Through his journal we learn about Tod’s pessimistic, yet comedic, view of his life and discover his hidden strengths as a writer. Around the episodes of violence and thievery, Tod finds himself caught between his obligation to mend costumes for creepy, school-renowned artist Luz and his efforts to maintain the tough image which keeps his “droogs”, Rex and Rob, in line. An exceedingly strong character, Tod is intelligent and insightful to the point that it is too easy to forget that he’s a bully and that the book is not A Clockwork Orange.

Scrawl is well suited for young adults. The perspective, 99 percent from teenage Tod Munn, 1 percent notes from the guidance counselor, is relatable for students still in high school and reminiscent for anyone older. Although his work is being read by an adult, Tod is allowed to write however he wants to (his character wouldn’t have it any other way) and his actions, most illegal or private, are completely unmonitored by adults. Even when under the watchful eyes of teachers and security guards Tod refuses to conform to any “acceptable” behaviors. Roughly 230 pages, the book is still a fast read as Tod chooses only to recount events he deems interesting enough to write down. The novel is an interesting genre as a journal written by an otherwise unwilling journalist. Every character is categorized by social group and income bracket, with wide ranges of both categories, but race is never even brought up, perhaps in an effort to make the story more relatable. The story is optimistic in its defense of a character that is endlessly misunderstood and finally catches a break by the end of the story. The main emotion relevant to young adults is the unique mixture of pride and insecurity which comes with finding and defending your true character.

Here’s a great link to an interview with the author DIRECTLY DISCUSSING YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE!
http://janasbooklist.blogspot.com/2010/11/interview-with-scrawl-aut...

If it’s not completely obvious by this point, I loved this book. I recommend it to anyone over 14 (for explicit descriptions of violence and vandalism), especially those who spent high school at the bottom of the social ladder looking up. Despite the negative depictions of teachers there are redeemable, relatable adults and authority figures. The usually consequence free, aggressive or illegal behaviors are countered by a few serious consequences which the protagonist takes to heart. Tod rarely engages in illegal activities without legitimate reasons. That being said, this book is not very appropriate for the classroom, for all the best reasons, as well as lacking elements relating to conventional classroom topics. Perfect leisure reading for young adults looking for a voice to articulate their frustrations with the institution which reminds them so much of prison.
This seems like a really good book. Reading your description I feel as though Tod would have been one of my friends in high school. The lines about how how people, "especially those who spent high school at the bottom of the social ladder looking up" would really be able to enjoy and connect to this book have really got me thinking about the fact that it seems as though we don't really have a lot of books told from the POV of those students labeled as popular. I feel it could be interesting to see a few more of those books as well.
You're right, books told from the "popular teen" perspective does seem to be in the minority. I have two theories. 1) Either young adult lit with popular protagonists was at once popular and we are seeing a new trend of "underdog" novels, or 2) Underdog novels are more relatable, and therefore have always had a larger audience. In either case, novels focused on popular characters usually reveal that they are just as vulnerable and self-conscious as everyone else. Novels focused on unpopular characters reveal the social strengths of characters otherwise seen as awkward or marginal. Both types discredit stereotypes, but the latter has a more optimistic outlook.
YA books are supposed to be hopeful.
This sounds like a great book for YAs. I love that you said he only writes what he thinks is worth writing about, since I feel like that's how most YAs and even adults are about our free-writing. Do you get an idea of what he's not writing through what he does write? If that makes any sense... Also, I'm amused by your review because our high school was literally modeled after the blueprints of a prison and I know a lot of people I went to school with who would enjoy this type of story. Thanks for sharing! I'm adding it to my to-read list.

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service