Making Curriculum Pop

My colleague and I decided to assign a graphic novel for summer reading for a group of "reluctant reader" high school seniors. After reading several, we decided on Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Based on the suggestion of my jealous current seniors, we created a power point teaser for the juniors at the end of the year. We visited their classes to introduce the book and tell them some of the themes we would be focusing on, one of which is media bias.
Has anyone taught this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas, experiences.
Thanks.

Views: 75

Replies to This Discussion

I have been using this book for a few years now with 12th graders. I use it to show the progression of the hero into modern times, connecting it to 1980s Reagan era fear. I also use it with my Graphic Literature course. It is great to use to examine the use of comic technique as outlined by Scott McCloud in Understanding Comics. Frank Miller's wild use of the comic form is brilliant.
When I have taught it to college freshmen (which I did last week), we focus on a few things. ONe discussion point is always on justice and who is right. We compare how different characters conduct themselves and assert power, and discerning how Batman is different from the Mutant Leader. Tim O'Neil's blog entry here inspired that topic, and he has some interesting points: http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogspot.com/2010/04/tao-of-miller-th...

We also doa quick look at the comic book controversy of the 1950s in the US and how Miller based his straw psychology experts on Wertham. This gets us into a talk about media effects, which seem to come up all the time. Comic books, Rock and Roll, television, video games, texting, etc. all get blamed for society's ills and the downfall of youth. This usually leads into some pretty interesting talk.

Ok, that's my 2 cents. I hope you have fun witht he book and your students!

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service