Making Curriculum Pop

Have you all seen the Kony 2012 video on YouTube? Click here to view: http://youtu.be/Y4MnpzG5Sqc

I can't wait to start discussing it with my students. The issue at hand is terrible and shows students they CAN do something about what's happening in Uganda.

The way the Invisible Children produced this and made the mass media notice them within days of it being posted on YouTube shows the power of the media.

Views: 125

Replies to This Discussion

Stephanie, here is my quick response (which I also blogged about here):

Admittedly the whole thing made me feel suspicious. But rather than indulge my critical tendencies, I thought it would be good to acknowledge that the people behind this project (Invisible Children) probably mean well and are doing what they think is the best solution to solve a terrible problem. So what follows are my initial thoughts about its positives, and then some reflections on those elements that make me guarded.

What it does right:

Demonstrating collective action around an idea, using a clear message, slogan and image. A successful campaign that has drawn attention to an area that usually is considered peripheral. Generating debate and dialog about best practices and methods. Showing the organic and open character of the internet in which an idea can be promoted and contested. Clever and persuasive use of cinema for the greater good. Connects global problem with local reality. Effective harnessing of empathy. Nice slogan: “Where you live shouldn’t determine whether your live.” Makes the political personal. Good use of social marketing by telling a story rather than just showing facts. Powerful design and packaging strategy.

Things that make me wary:

Presents a neoliberal/neocon vision of political activism, reducing it to brand politics not unlike focusing on the arrest and elimination of Osama Bin Laden as a means for solving a much bigger, systemic crisis. Pseudo-empowerment based on flattery of the activist. Politically safe action that reinforces existing power relations. Not very Afro-centric. Promoting the role of the US as global police force. Threatens to be meme of the week, and little more. Too self-referential, self-congratulatory, and ego-driven. Orientalist in that dark Africa is once again a means for the purification of a white man’s soul. A little too emotionally manipulative, bordering on the group pressure tactics of religious cults. Potential abuse of slick design and packaging strategy to mask larger complexities.

This story is unfolding rapidly. To get more context, check out Visible Children and The Guardian.

Agreed, Stephanie--

I have yet to view, yet many of my students are rushing to tell me-- last year students in my classes read A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah and viewed Nick Kristoff's doc Reporter, (Facing History and Ourselves offered an an line workshop about using this film a resource in lesson planning) as well as reading Kristoff's many op-ed articles from the The New York Times. Many activated around this issue through The Enough Project. It is amazing that this pop culture social media is encouraging students to activate in this way, and to also understand the issues within a deeper social/economic context (resources/rare earths/) I will be sure to view the video. Thank you for posting. Dianna

And of course-- there is all of what ANtonio just posted-- which the suspicion rang true with me when I first heard about it-- again-- I have NOT watched the video yet.

I agree with you and Antonio - I was suspicious at first but the charity has been given good ratings by different watchdog organizations.  Whatever the case, the controversy that is starting to develop over it will be a great discussion for our students/classrooms.

Just read the article and comments in The Guardian--  wow-- must follow this story--

I agree. Thanks to you, and to the urging of my own children, I have seen this video and am working on a lesson plan that incorporates it for Monday's class.

Stephanie: I don't know if you have already shown this video, but if you are using it on YouTube, you may want to find a way to show it without the commentary. I always read how people are reacting to a video clip to see their perspective. In this case, some of the comments are pretty disturbing.  As an educator, I would be wary of those comments appearing on the screen. Otherwise, I agree with Antonio's comments.  By the same token, I am fascinated with the idea that someone's intentions can be manipulated in both positive and negative ways.  

Kony 2012 was a gift to me as an English teacher..... a perfect opportunity to break open Critical LIteracy skills.

My class has had ongoing debates - and we just happen to be reading "African Journey" by Blaine Marchand.  Then if things could not get more relevant - one student of mine who NEVER speaks out, told the class that his Uncle is none other than Michel Chickwainine....an actual child soldier who went to our family of schools.  WOW.

When the controversy from TMZ and the 'naked video' surfaced, I challenged kids to break apart media and to look at sources and how information is constructed.  It was eye opening for all of us and I challenged kids and adults alike to not be people who continually throw out the baby with the bathwater.  (One day a topic is hot, the next day its not).  Social activism is not (as my 17 year old son said so clearly) simply a 'like' button.

We have decided to do a letter writing campaign here in Canada to get our politician s to support democracy in Sudan, Congo and Uganda as a way to support kids there, along with other direct action from my class like supporting a school etc.  I think this has been a super relevant way to help kids see that literacy (writing/reading and critical thinking skills) are the life blood of activism. 

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service