Making Curriculum Pop

Excellent idea from a blog at the Guardian (UK) Teacher Network...

Read the full blog /lesson HERE.

Views: 19

Replies to This Discussion

I used YouTube comments as the basis for persuasive writing, too. There was this video interview of J.R.R. Tolkien, and he was discussing how he started writing The Hobbit. The YouTube comments at the time were focused on whether or not George Lucas ripped off Tolkien when he wrote Star Wars. I immediately thought I could use it in my Hero with a Thousand Faces class to get the students to explain the flaw in the argument that Lucas ripped off Tolkien (he was just writing a hero's journey, which is a much older model than Tolkien). Anyway, it turned into a great assignment. I'm attaching it. Sadly, the video in question has been removed. Here is a copy, but of course, you wouldn't be able to see those comments.

One of my students couldn't stand it and she let everyone know why they were wrong and completely shut down the argument. Then they started arguing about whether or not J.R.R. Tolkien was unintelligible in the video. That's YouTube for you.

Attachments:

Dana - that is excellent - why don't you copy and paste what you just shared here as a discussion forum post so we can share it when I'm broadcasting again!  I'd hate for people to miss your always awesome / creative / and inspiring ideas. And duh, of course Lucas ripped him off (jk).

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service