Making Curriculum Pop

As a Media Literacy teacher, I am always looking for ways to keep my curriculum up-to-date and relevant.  After watching it with my husband and other teachers at my school, we all had such fruitful discussions about teaching and raising our own children to be media-aware and savvy.

Miss Representation 8 min. Trailer 8/23/11 from Miss Representation on Vimeo.

MissRepresentation is a must-see film for teachers of any subject, especially media literacy teachers.  Check out Missrepresentation.org for local showings of the film or check out OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) to see when it's being aired.  The creators of this film have segments for educators to work with.  Check it out!

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

I agree.  I sent home a parent permission letter and showed the film in its entirety in my Media Literacy class this past fall.  The discussions my classes had afterwards were very eye-opening and engaging.  I had several students mention the film in their semester course evaluations as one of the more important topics/texts that we covered.

Stacey, that is great to hear!  What grade level do you teach?  I teach 8th grade and think it would be too much to show to some of my more innocent eighth graders, but I am looking into the other parts of the DVD for middle school curriculum and am hoping I can use that in my own classroom.

It's also on Netflix, so that's another way to access it. Thanks for the tip!!

Hi ST - if you get a chance please consider copying and pasting this in the 

Identity: Gender, Race group!

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service