Making Curriculum Pop

Please post your discussion regarding graphic novels here:

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get reviews on
approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or
information about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading level/grade/students would
benefit from reading the text. If it is not suited for
the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

You will enjoy this and have fun on the NING. This is a professional Ning that will be every useful to your in your teaching.

Enjoy.

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I loved the history of Vlad and his psychopathic nature, and in hindsight, this is definitely a graphic biographical novel. I've seen a great deal on him too, on the tele, and that is what inspired me to select this text; I was thinking that students might feel the same. Prof. Goble hit the nail on the head- its more entertainment than education.
Alex, while they cannot see the movie, the Coppola Dracula is thoroughly engaging and weird.

Zeus: King of the Gods
This graphic novel is an exciting adaptation of ancient Greek mythology and the first in a series by George O’Connor. This first volume starts, literally, from the beginning of time and continues on showing the creation of gods, the earth, and everything in between. Conflict arises between Zeus and his father, Kronos, when Zeus discovers he had been swallowing whole his brothers and sisters at birth. Zeus had been cleverly saved by his mother, but seeks war with his father over the injustices done to his siblings. Zeus saves his siblings and becomes king of the gods. No doctoring had to be done to make the story interesting and therefore is a perfect option for anyone interested in getting an introduction to Greek mythology.

Zeus might be an unconventional character for teens to relate to, but his struggle with his father is a timeless issue. Every teenager eventually comes to disagreements with their parent’s behaviors. Coming to separate and define his beliefs from the beliefs of his father allows Zeus to come into his own as an adult. This covers the first two criteria for YA Lit. The story is fast-paced, only 80 pages, while still covering a large part of Greek mythology. The genre is unique, as it fuses the graphic novel with ancient mythology. The images really help the reader understand the size and terrifying presence of the gods in the story. The story is optimistic as Zeus successfully defeats his tyrant of a father and frees his siblings.

This link leads to an interview with the author about the novel:
http://graphicnovelreporter.com/content/gods-and-men-interview-geor...

This book is appropriate to any age group, in my opinion, because of its historical relevance. I would recommend it to children 13 and older as the topics of war, rebellion, and cannibalism would be easier to handle and the troubled relationship between Zeus and his father would be more relevant and interesting. The book is incredibly useful and appropriate for the classroom in learning about ancient perspectives of creation. I would most likely integrate it into a curriculum by offering it as an option for an independent reading assignment. Were I teaching a class on ancient history, this text would certainly be used.
Mythology GN's work beautifully for kids to understand the relationships and plot twists of how the gods connected/related. For scaffolding, it is important to understand these realtionships for further study/allusions in literature. Good rec/ I have so many new books that I need to add to my collection.
"How I Made It to Eighteen: A Mostly True Story" by Tracy White

The author, Tracy White, provides a compelling story that is based on her own life experiences. Learning to adjust to psychotherapy in Golden Meadows Hospital, Stacy Black is seventeen-years-old, a high school graduate and facing her bulimia head -on with the help of some friends, old and new. We see the world of Stacy inside the psychiatric hospital and are also provided with accounts from four of her friends from various points in her life. The black-and-white, flat comic panels express Stacy's emotions and include text balloons that provide background information and rhythm to her narrative. It is a great graphic novel that is an authentic account dealing with heavy emotional issues such as youth psychotherapy, bulimia and depression.

"How I Made It to Eighteen" is from the viewpoint of young adult female "Stacy Black," who has admitted herself to a psychiatric hospital. She is on her own in the hospital, with no parental involvement (except one brief family counseling session). The graphic novel is extremely fast-paced and also intriguing to keep the reader's attention. Not only is it a quick read but the events in the graphic novel move quickly, as well. Aside from being a different genre in the fact that it's a graphic novel, the subject matter it deals with is different all in its own. The topic of young adult mental health and the negative realities when someone is unhealthy come to light in the novel to make for an emotional read. But in true happy-ending fashion, Stacy is able to make progress and is optimistic on getting healthy.

One resource that I would find useful in reading and teaching this text is http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/child-and-adolescent-mental-h..., from the National Institute of Mental Health's Child & Adolescent Mental Health section. There are various useful links that provide additional information about several of the issues this graphic novel raises.

I think this graphic novel is a good read that students would enjoy. Everyone can commiserate with Stacy's depression or else in knowing someone who has dealt with the issues she exhibits. It is a quick, entertaining and educational read that students could benefit from using in the classroom. I do think this book is classroom appropriate and would use it at the 10th-12th grade levels. Even outside the classroom, this graphic novel could appeal to students with its emotional issues and themes and visuals.
We have so many kids who do suffer from depression right now; it is alarming. This may be good for bibliotherapy.
Thank you for the critique.
Heather, this sounds very interesting. I think its very intersting that it takes place in a mental hospital. Can I ask what makes it educational. Would you teach this book in the classroom? I was thinking from the details you provided that it might be a good therapy book for students who have friends that end up in a hospital for what ever reason. I know I could have used some support when my best friend finally sought help at the hospital for cutting herself. It does sound like a very good book that has many benefits and value to it.
a. A short summary
BB Wolf and the Three LP's is a graphic novel that touches on issues such as racism, murder, loss, and revenge in an all in your face illustrious manner that is quite captivating. The story starts off with the reader meeting the main character and protagonist "BB" as he strums on his guitar, singing the blues, inviting all who wish to hear his tale of suffering. The novel quickly shoots back to when he started losing it all; As a farmer in Mississippi, BB lived with his lady, and their cubs and earned an honest living. Until one dreary day BB is woken by the sounds of banging on his door. In comes the antagonists' of the story...the three LP's (little pigs...not so little). The LP's are coming to take away the land and farm BB and his family have worked and lived for. The LP's in the story represent the superior race and class in this time (it is set in the 1920's), but since BB is a wolf, and is superior in strength and size to the pigs, he fights back with all he can to defend what he has worked for. Things start getting out of hand when BB is not able to control his emotions, and he tears one of the lead pigs to shreds with just one swoop of his fury. With this action, the pace picks up, and the LP's burn his farm down and torture and kill BB's wife and cubs. BB had always loathed the pigs for their continuous acts of hatred and controlling ways, and when they take everything that BB holds dear and lives for, BB is forced to begin a life of a deep seeded need to get revenge. Every chapter is started off with some pop culture music quote, which leads into further adventures of BB singing the blues about his murderous rampage.
After losing everything, BB sets off to Chicago since there is nothing left for him in Mississippi, and runs into an old coercing wolf friend that makes BB take on jobs that can ultimately lead to his demise. BB sets out to track down the rest of the pig brothers that lead the world of the pigs by placing fear in all those around them who are not what they are. BB views it necessary to remove these pigs from the world in order to gain the revenge he needs and deserves (for the killing of his family and the burning of his farm) in order to gain peace of mind.
Even after BB wolf has completed his plots of revenge by killing the lead three LP's, BB's heart and soul still aches but he does succeed in giving those pigs what they deserved for the cruel acts committed against BB wolf. In the end, BB wolf is put to death, and before becoming a dead man walking, a priest speaks with him. The priest asks many times if BB shows any remorse for the sins he has committed, and with tears in his eyes, BB sticks to his guns and begs the priest to question whether it was just or right for BB to not commit murder after the inconceivable acts that were committed on him and his family. It is clear that their is still a line of equality, and BB is of a class that is still discriminated against. BB is put to death, and the reader is left to wonder what could have been.

Connection to YA Lit criteria
BB wolf and the Three LP's fits many components of YA Lit criteria. Though the Graphic novel is not told in the point of view of young people, it is a story that is told in a way that lessons can be learned by a young reader. The illustrations are somewhat easy to follow compared to Graphic novels that are more suitable for adults. Ideas brought forth in BB wolf and the Three LP's such as judgement, discrimination, and revenge make it a novel perfect for YA's.
BB Wolf and the Three LP's is also fact-paced. Parts in the novel are faster than others, but no matter what point I was at in the novel, I was shocked to see how many pages I had read in a short time! As far as the genre and subject matter, BB Wolf and the Three LP's met YA criteria. It reminded me of story books read when I was young that taught history of the Underground Railroad by using content of that period of time that held more latency for a YA Reader; ex. following the stars (the drinking gourd/ north star) in order to reach freedom. Instead of the writer using actual race, he used Pig and Wolf since by a YA age, stories of the "3 little pigs" have produced bad feelings of the wolf character. This novel challenges the YA reader to rethink that tale.
The novel was not optimistic in the immediate tale that is told, but the main character BB is working towards a goal that he believes is all he has to live for. BB Wolf accomplishes his goals of killing the LP's and his task is complete. Something that may make this book optimistic is the thought process the reader journey's on after the book, and the questioning of perspective and subject matter of revenge and racism.

Link to a resource for further information about the book/novel:

http://www.bbwolfandthethreelps.com/bbwolf_history_ad.html

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25487

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/128703008357107.html

Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key question to consider is whether the book is classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading level/grade/students would
benefit from reading the text.
I would highly recommend this novel for Junior High school average reading level 7 th graders in either an English or history class. Just like many people commented on how The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing could be taught as a paired class (English coming together with history), BB Wolf and the Three LP's could be taught in the same manner. The reason why I believe this novel would be great for Junior High aged readers is because at that age of development, YA's begin to have a higher ability to think and reason more comprehensively about the issues brought forth in BB Wolf and the Three LP's, and YA's are also experiencing similar situations (not being accepted etc.) that BB Wolf has to deal with. For lower level readers, I can see this novel being taught at High school Freshman reading level. Either way, I think everyone should read this GN!!! It is fabulous, entertaining, thought provoking, intense, and visually astonishing!
a. A short summary
BB Wolf and the Three LP's is a graphic novel that touches on issues such as racism, murder, loss, and revenge in an all in your face illustrious manner that is quite captivating. The story starts off with the reader meeting the main character and protagonist "BB" as he strums on his guitar, singing the blues, inviting all who wish to hear his tale of suffering. The novel quickly shoots back to when he started losing it all; As a farmer in Mississippi, BB lived with his lady, and their cubs and earned an honest living. Until one dreary day BB is woken by the sounds of banging on his door. In comes the antagonists' of the story...the three LP's (little pigs...not so little). The LP's are coming to take away the land and farm BB and his family have worked and lived for. The LP's in the story represent the superior race and class in this time (it is set in the 1920's), but since BB is a wolf, and is superior in strength and size to the pigs, he fights back with all he can to defend what he has worked for. Things start getting out of hand when BB is not able to control his emotions, and he tears one of the lead pigs to shreds with just one swoop of his fury. With this action, the pace picks up, and the LP's burn his farm down and torture and kill BB's wife and cubs. BB had always loathed the pigs for their continuous acts of hatred and controlling ways, and when they take everything that BB holds dear and lives for, BB is forced to begin a life of a deep seeded need to get revenge. Every chapter is started off with some pop culture music quote, which leads into further adventures of BB singing the blues about his murderous rampage.
After losing everything, BB sets off to Chicago since there is nothing left for him in Mississippi, and runs into an old coercing wolf friend that makes BB take on jobs that can ultimately lead to his demise. BB sets out to track down the rest of the pig brothers that lead the world of the pigs by placing fear in all those around them who are not what they are. BB views it necessary to remove these pigs from the world in order to gain the revenge he needs and deserves (for the killing of his family and the burning of his farm) in order to gain peace of mind.
Even after BB wolf has completed his plots of revenge by killing the lead three LP's, BB's heart and soul still aches but he does succeed in giving those pigs what they deserved for the cruel acts committed against BB wolf. In the end, BB wolf is put to death, and before becoming a dead man walking, a priest speaks with him. The priest asks many times if BB shows any remorse for the sins he has committed, and with tears in his eyes, BB sticks to his guns and begs the priest to question whether it was just or right for BB to not commit murder after the inconceivable acts that were committed on him and his family. It is clear that their is still a line of equality, and BB is of a class that is still discriminated against. BB is put to death, and the reader is left to wonder what could have been.

Connection to YA Lit criteria
BB wolf and the Three LP's fits many components of YA Lit criteria. Though the Graphic novel is not told in the point of view of young people, it is a story that is told in a way that lessons can be learned by a young reader. The illustrations are somewhat easy to follow compared to Graphic novels that are more suitable for adults. Ideas brought forth in BB wolf and the Three LP's such as judgement, discrimination, and revenge make it a novel perfect for YA's.
BB Wolf and the Three LP's is also fact-paced. Parts in the novel are faster than others, but no matter what point I was at in the novel, I was shocked to see how many pages I had read in a short time! As far as the genre and subject matter, BB Wolf and the Three LP's met YA criteria. It reminded me of story books read when I was young that taught history of the Underground Railroad by using content of that period of time that held more latency for a YA Reader; ex. following the stars (the drinking gourd/ north star) in order to reach freedom. Instead of the writer using actual race, he used Pig and Wolf since by a YA age, stories of the "3 little pigs" have produced bad feelings of the wolf character. This novel challenges the YA reader to rethink that tale.
The novel was not optimistic in the immediate tale that is told, but the main character BB is working towards a goal that he believes is all he has to live for. BB Wolf accomplishes his goals of killing the LP's and his task is complete. Something that may make this book optimistic is the thought process the reader journey's on after the book, and the questioning of perspective and subject matter of revenge and racism.

Link to a resource for further information about the book/novel:

http://www.bbwolfandthethreelps.com/bbwolf_history_ad.html

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25487

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/128703008357107.html

Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key question to consider is whether the book is classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading level/grade/students would
benefit from reading the text.
I would highly recommend this novel for Junior High school average reading level 7 th graders in either an English or history class. Just like many people commented on how The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing could be taught as a paired class (English coming together with history), BB Wolf and the Three LP's could be taught in the same manner. The reason why I believe this novel would be great for Junior High aged readers is because at that age of development, YA's begin to have a higher ability to think and reason more comprehensively about the issues brought forth in BB Wolf and the Three LP's, and YA's are also experiencing similar situations (not being accepted etc.) that BB Wolf has to deal with. For lower level readers, I can see this novel being taught at High school Freshman reading level. Either way, I think everyone should read this GN!!! It is fabulous, entertaining, thought provoking, intense, and visually astonishing!
I did not pick this book up to read...maybe the cover turned me off; I do not know, but the Shaun of the Dead vs. Dawn of the Dead idea would have been my expectation, too. This is good to know; i still will not buy the book.
Pam

Pride and Prejudice + random zombies? That's not exactly my idea of a great book, not even it if it's a graphic novel. It would probably sound more appealing to me if it were just a graphic adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. I've enjoyed a few zombie films and books, but I'm beginning to grow a little tired of the walking dead popping up everywhere. Here's an article I read about why people seem to be so crazy about zombies.

http://www.danbirlew.com/why-are-zombies-so-popular/

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service