Making Curriculum Pop

Please post your discussion regarding graphic novels here:

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get reviews on
approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or
information about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading level/grade/students would
benefit from reading the text. If it is not suited for
the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

You will enjoy this and have fun on the NING. This is a professional Ning that will be every useful to your in your teaching.

Enjoy.

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

Even though Yummy is not uplifting, I think that the wonderful purpose of books of this type is to have the reader leave the book questioning, and thinking about what has to be done about these events that all types of people face in the world they live in, that are much different than the lives the YA readers might lead. Did you feel like you were getting a new scope on a life much different than yours?
Yes, I did feel like I was getting a look into a life much different than my own. I love reading (or watching) anything about people who are very different than myself. I love the History and Travel channels for those reasons and also like watching shows like Gangland and Lock-Up. I am really interested in gang and prison culture, it is so foreign and interesting to me. These sub-cultures are all around me (especially living in the city) and yet so far away in my own mind.
Without reading the story, I already like two things about it from your review :) One is the fact that it was a true story. The idea of reading something that is a true story from a grapic novel seems almost surreal, but it is definitly something I really want to do! I have never read a graphic novel before this class, and would never have attempted to get around to reading one, but now it just might become a new hobby of mine! I also like the fact that the story is based in chicago because it's close to home which really makes you feel a strong connection to the book. The idea of not knowing who to blame at the end of the novel is awesome and this is the kind of book I believe that should be given to teens. An ending that leaves the interpretation of the book is wonderful because it forces the reader to look into their own morals and experiances to decide what they believe is the right answer, or what they believed happend...Like LFA and and Monster. Books with endings left open are also the ones that will make the best discussion......
WOW. This is definitely a YAL graphic novel that I want to read. My absolute favorite part of your post is the emphasis on the "WHY." When used constructively, it is an effective tool. Readers should put an emphasis on understanding who they read about. This is so essential to really teaching students. It goes farther than academic knowledge. Teaching students about human nature guides their personal choices and convictions. It's what a teacher wants students to walk away with.
People can be quick to judge, and high school is the perfect time to guide students away from that. This book seems so perfect for teaching kids why people end up the way they do. It's really sad that people sometimes only see it as "kids killing kids," and they don't care.
What kinds of discussion do you think would come out of this book? It seems like such a good source for conversation in a classroom!
The connection piece is probably the most important piece for students to understand and grasp meaning from literature. Any kernel to prompt discussion and ponder high level thought is so important...yes, you are right!
Sounds like a very compelling novel! It would be great in a discussion about perspectives. If you look at the answers different characters give as to "why" Yummy behaved the way he did you can see their perspectives. Their backgrounds and beliefs play a big part in how they asses Yummy. A character who blames Yummy believes in personal responsibility and the will of the individual. Such a character might be ignorant as to the pressures of living in the city, or might have grown up in the same area and overcome the pressures, expecting other to be able to do the same. A character who blames society believes in social responsibility. For this character everyone should be active in correcting the injustices taking place around them because, as a part of that society, they have helped cause it.
Danielle,

Your graphic novel sounds amazing. First of all, it is great that it is set in Chicago. Just based off of your review, I think I would definitely use it in the classroom. I agree with you that students would be able to relate to it well since it is based in Chicago. I think this book would still be useful to teach outside of Chicago! What I think is most important of all is that this book is a true story! This allows students to make connections between the book and real life. They will be able to understand that these issues are happening around them during their time. I think this book would be great to teach in urban schools, where there are more problems such as depicted in the story that are occurring. This way, students will gain insight about why violence really is a bad idea. They will understand how it is an ongoing cycle and if one person does not stop, it will continue on forever. For my film review, I watched Boyz n the Hood. I think this book would accompany the movie really well because the movie depicts violence in Compton, California. I think it is important to incorporate a unit on violence and urban issues, so students can discuss the issues around them. Hopefully, some things that they read or watch will allow them to change their minds or help them transform into good people if they are not already. There are so many activities you could do with this book. Just as Roger had to answer why Yummy is the way he is, students could answer the question for themselves. Moreover, students can ask people they know to answer the same question pertaining to violent people such as Yummy. Students can also find issues in the news that connect with some things that occur in the story. Students can also give their viewpoints about why violence is so negative and why people should refrain from it. So much discussion can arise from this book, making students think and engaging them in real world situations. This definitely sounds like a great pick, and I will be sure to read it sometime!
Oh my goodness, oh my goodness!! I LUVVV my graphic novel pick!!! I am reading the BB Wolf and the 3 L.P's, and it is beyond entertaining. I am almost finished with it so I will get back to posting on criteria, etc. once It has been finished. (it is a quick read and I am about 30 pages away from completion!) My graphic novel pick is a retelling of the wolf's side of the story about the crazy happenings he experienced in the depressing little pig run world he lives in. It is clever, depressing, action based, violent, and heart warming all at once!!!
You make me laugh!!! I am overwhelmed with the super choices of everyone.
Orange by Benjamin

a) This graphic novel takes place in China and is about a teenage girl named Orange who feels like her life is filled with nothing but problems. She thinks all her friends are shallow, her boyfriends are all after one thing, and she does not get along with her parents. She feels that she has nothing to live for, and as a result she decides to try to kill herself by jumping off the roof of her apartment building. However, just as she is about to jump she sees an older man, Dashu on the roof and decides not to go through with it as he walks away. She sees Dashu again on the bus and follows him to his apartment, leaving him her suicide note as she feels he saved her life. It also seems as though she has fallen in love with Dashu because from then on in the story she tries hard to gain his attention. For the rest of the story we also follow Orange around and see each of the aforementioned problems play out. We also learn that she is quite a rebellious teenager as we see her smoking, sneaking out of the house,staying out all night, and ditching class. Towards the end of the story, she finally gets Dashu to pay attention to her and he explains that all her reasons for wanting to kill herself are "easily solvable" and that she has just begun to live. *Spoiler Alert* He then says that he will die in her place and jumps off of the roof, killing himself as Orange watches in disbelief, feeling like she is watching a slow motion scene in a movie. Orange then wonders if he ever loved her back and seems to suddenly have an epiphany that life is beautiful and wonders why "grownups have to torture themselves so much over everything".

b) This book fits a lot of the YA Lit Criteria. To begin with, the story is written from Orange's perspective almost the entire time, with only a few scenes from the perspective of Dashu. Orange's parents were very much removed from the story as we only see them in only one scene of the book. The story is very fast paced as it goes over conflict and resolution very quickly. This story also has a lot of different subjects especially related to teens as we see issues dealing with love, sex, relationships, rebellion, suicide, friends, and identity. This story however, did not include a very wide range of characters from different ethnic and cultural groups as they were all Chinese and except for Orange's parents, Dashu, and an older boyfriend of Orange, were all of high school age and seemed into the same thing. This story also lacked in optimism as it was depressing the entire time with only a couple of optimistic things said at the end. This novel also dealt with a lot of negative emotions important to young adults as we saw a lot of anger, depression, frustration, and fear. Possibly the only positive emotion in the story seems to be the love Orange has for Dashu. As far as developmental tasks go I feel as though Orange did not really seem to change a lot by the end of the story or accomplish anything other then the sudden realization that life is beautiful and she should not want to kill herself.

c) http://manga.about.com/od/mangaartistinterviews/a/Benjamin.htm
I like this link because it explains the new movement of Asian comics, Manhua. It also talks about the author and contains an interview with him.

d) Personally, I did not like this book. The main reason for this is that the ending was terrible. It seemed as though the author wanted to throw in a resolution in at the last minute and that is exactly what he did. In his interview he said he wanted to write this story so that teens dealing with issues like Orange could connect with it. While I feel that young adults would be able to, the ending is so terribly written it seems to ruin the whole book. I would not recommend this book either for a classroom or for reading on one's own as it is poorly written,a bit confusing, and I did not really get anything from reading the book.
I think this sounds like an interesting read, despite the depressing and non-YA plotline. I wonder if the author was trying to evoke something specific by using such a downer as an ending. Do you think it was culturally loaded? Would Chinese teens garner something different from the novel than you did?
It felt to me that he was trying to make the ending a positive one however, did not quite succeed. Pretty much all he did was have both Dashu and Orange say one positive thing each at the end. Also, the story wasn't very culturally loaded at all, in fact I can't remember where I read this (I believe in the author's interview) but it's supposed to be a story that all teens can connect to since the author noticed these emotions were shared by teens other then just Chinese.

Here's a link that better explains the story: http://manga.about.com/od/tokyopop/gr/Orange.htm

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service