Making Curriculum Pop

Please post your discussion regarding graphic novels here:

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get reviews on
approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or
information about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading level/grade/students would
benefit from reading the text. If it is not suited for
the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

You will enjoy this and have fun on the NING. This is a professional Ning that will be every useful to your in your teaching.

Enjoy.

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

Many of my students have this book, but I need to find out if our library has it or if they have bought it. The cover is enticing.
The cover is enticing in fact, a lot of reviews agree that the author's illustrations are what are so great about the novel, not the story itself.
Good review; I will not put it on my list.
This book sounds a little like some other YA novels that I've read with similar depressing subjects and storylines. I happen to be a really huge fan of Ellen Hopkins (slight understatement) and several of her books focus on issues like the ones Orange seems to be dealing with. In fact, I'm thinking of her book Impulse in particular which involves three different suicidal teens and left me quite angry at the end (which I won't spoil here..check it out!) Because of that similarity, though, I might still be interested in checking out this book and comparing how different authors confront the issue of teen suicide and depression.
Adriana! I definitly want to read this book, even though you did kind of spoil the ending :) J.K. I actually really like depressing books because they really make you think! Books like MAKE LEMONADE are okay too, but the happy ever after ending does not provoke much debate on the topic....for example, I have not even read this book yet, but I am still trying to figure out why the author wanted the book to end like that....It's one of those books that are hard to forget about....
I feel that this is why YAL is best when the ending is totally unexpected and when the reader is uncomfortable with how the book was ended because one, it forces you to contemplate it further, replaying all the major events in your head again, and two, it is totally open to your own interpretation...I can easily argue this man was totally sane and wanted to show this girl how it for someone to lose you, and someone else can argue he was a psychopath.... and in reality, noone is wrong because the author lets us interpret the scenerio we feel is best..... But overall, i actually do want to read this :)) veryyy good review!!!!
Thanks Zia! And I mean I just couldn't quite get past the ending, my sister (she's 17) saw the book and read it too and said she actually liked it so I'm not quite sure what it is about this story that I just didn't like. It is really making me think since Make Lemonade's ending didn't even bother me as much as this novel's did.
Adriana,

I think teens would be able to relate to Orange really well. She seems to be going through the same emotions as all teenagers do. The smoking, drinking, ditching class, not being fond of parents are all part of a rebellious stage that some people may go through. They think that they are in charge of their own lives, and do not care to listen to those who are authority figures or those who wish to provide them advice. Something that Orange may not realize is that all teenagers go through the same problems as her. She doesn't seem to connect to the people around her, but rather thinks negatively of them and pushes them away. If she connected to others, she would understand that she is no different from anyone else. It is sad that Orange considered these "problems" as serious, so serious that she wanted to jump off of a roof and kill herself. That is such a ridiculous thing to do. It is taking the power of God, and putting it one's owns hands, which is a forbidden thing to do. Maybe in this sense, Orange felt like she was in control of her life, and could end it if she wanted to.

So what about Dashu makes Orange change her mind and back out? Is it because she did not want to take part in this act in front of others? Or is it because she was attracted to him? What do you think? I also do not like the end of the story, it doesn't really make sense. I think the author could have chose a better ending. Or just ended it at the point where Dashu tells Orange that her problems can be solved and she is still young. If he says all this, why would he kill himself? That pretty much ruins the plot I think.

I think this book would be great to use in middle school or early high school, despite the bad ending. I think students can get stressed out and take problems really hard on themselves. They need to realize that there are others out there that are undergoing the same issues. These problems aren't difficult, and can be solved with help. Students would be able to relate to Orange well. I think this is an important issue to address to teenagers because suicides are common during their age. They need to understand that that teachers, parents, counselors are all available sources for students. Maybe along with this text, students should get a list of resources for things such as homework help to normal advice. They need to be able to go to people and feel comfortable enough to have their problems solved.
I think the reason why she stopped herself from jumping when she saw Dashu is the fact that it was just such a strange and mysterious encounter. He appears out of nowhere, takes a drink and walks away. He does not say anything to Orange or try to stop her, I believe he also does not even look at her. She does indeed then become attracted to him I feel because he is mysterious and also because he is not literally one of those teenagers Orange criticized so much. However, he has his own problems as he has a serious drinking problem and we don't know why. If anything, like Orange he should also enjoy his life as he is rich and has freedom to do whatever he wants. While I know that money isn't everything it seems as though these characters' same hypocritical tendencies are what brought them together. Also, yes, the plot at the end is very poorly constructed.
Wow. I guess all stories don't have happy endings, do they? I think that might be a positive lesson that a YA could learn from this book. When I was reading your review, I thought, "Dashu saved her life. How awesome" but then when you said he killed himself, I was like "WHAT????" I want to read it just to find out why he did that. Is there some deep, metaphysical reason? What is the point? Without having read the book, I wonder if using the book in the classroom is morally responsible? Speaking from the experience of a mom of a teenage dauughter, teens are fragile one day, then Supergirl the next. Can a fragile kid read this book?

I have never been a believe that a kid will mock what they see on TV or read in a book. I like to give them more credit that that but if there isn't a real message to this book, really, what is the point?
That's exactly what I was wondering. The story seems to be missing important elements that could turn it into a great story. I definitely would not use this in a classroom for this reason.
This book is a great example of why modern literature and classics need not have such an adversarial relationship. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith takes a classic Jane Austen novel and makes it relevant to modern, young readers who might have otherwise been resistant to reading more “scholarly” novels. The adaptation of the book retains the key plot markers of Austen’s original tale: the romance, the intrigue, and the character plot twists all remain, but there is the additional fun of Eastern martial arts employed in the art of zombie destruction. The illustrations by Cliff Richards add another level to the story, engaging the growing population of young comic book-readers. The book depicts gory battles between the Bennet sisters and the “unmentionables,” affected by the zombie plague, giving the novel a taste of superhero action and even violence. The more active parts of the novel, enhanced by their illustration, are effectively balanced by the love stories entangled in the original Austen novel.
The sexual tension between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy is heightened by the tension between their fighting styles: he is a student of Japanese karate and she a master of the Chinese deadly arts, as well as their distinct difference in class and Darcy’s seemingly snobbish attitude. In addition, Darcy’s best friend, Mr. Bingley, falls easily in love with Elizabeth’s older and shyer sister, Jane. The complications, foibles, and twists of the romance appeal to the romantic-minded without overwhelming the reader with gushing, overdone scenes. The original restraint of Pride and Prejudice compliments the zombie plotline nicely, making for an all-around appealing read, one that will appeal to youth of all ages and sexes.
The novel gives an overall idea of fun, fantasy, and adventure. It would be well used as a liaison to teaching Pride and Prejudice, for this book makes a seemingly old novel relevant and modern by incorporating the pop culture fad of fighting the undead. Novels like this do not exploit the original text but rather add interest to the original novel while simultaneously taking a classic story in a new direction. I would give this novel high recommendations for readers of all ages, but in particular I feel the novel would be best employed for an teenage audience. Specifically, high school students would likely get a kick out of this graphic novel. After all, between the romance and the action the book has something to offer to most every reader. I would personally be thrilled to see more graphic novels like this presented to a teen audience, for I believe they would serve to enhance the presence of a classic novel while encouraging new generations to read.
These books have been well received and I am sure it is part of the "Twilight" attraction, i.e., vampires, zombies, werewolves, supernatural themes, etc.

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service