Making Curriculum Pop

Please post your discussion regarding graphic novels here:

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get reviews on
approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or
information about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading level/grade/students would
benefit from reading the text. If it is not suited for
the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

You will enjoy this and have fun on the NING. This is a professional Ning that will be every useful to your in your teaching.

Enjoy.

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

I have always liked Jane Austen's novels, so yes this was definitely a natural step for me to bridge into modern lit with a love of the old stuff. Also, I am generally a fan of graphic novels... they offer something different, especially for young readers.
links?
I read Olympians: Zeus, King of the Gods. AND I really enjoyed it and it only took me half an hour to read and it is so addicting that I want to read the whole series! It is by George O’conner, just incase my review entices you into reading the whole series ;-) This book is the beginning of a series that highlights every single Greek God on Olympus. This first book begins with the story of “how it all began,” starting with nothing, the sky, and their children, and their children’s children who are the mythological Greek Gods we have heard of today. This book was mostly about Zeus and how he saved his brothers and sisters from a father who went against his own father, the sky. This book has some very strong morals, themes, and some aspects that can make it uncomfortable running through it. It has the story of creation, the idea of karma, cannibalism, and one case of incest. It also has a war in it, father against son.

Students will enjoy this book because it is a very quick read. It is seventy one pages long and very little passages to read. I can see it as being any easy filler in a classroom when the teacher needs something to capture the attention of her students for the last five minutes or so of class. It can be incorporated into so many different lessons because of its wide range of topics from historical and mythological, to its very diverse characters that would be fun to analyze. Students will also enjoy the pictures in the book, as I did very much. They were entertaining and really helped me get into the story.

I would really recommend this book to anyone, but because of the material that I spoke about earlier, I would recommend for kids thirteen and older because they are old enough to not be influenced into thinking of these mythological creatures are frightening or scary. They would be at the age where they know that Santa Claus is not real, yet they are too young to be taught the effects of Karma and creation, yet they are barely introduced to these topics which plant a seed to further their curiosity on the subject.
I'm a big fan of Greek mythology. As a kid, I was obsessed wit the story of Perseus. In my opinion, the Greek myths, gods, etc. are some of the greatest stories ever told and, the proof, they are still being read and have adapted to the times. I will definitely be picking up this novel. I think that these tales are so powerful because, in addition to incredible detailed and entertaining plots, the inherent moral (or sociopolitical) parables and themes are so useful. I wouldn't hesitate to use this in my classroom. Thanks a lot.
It really was a great book...i think I am going to be buying the whole series!
I loved Greek mythology as a kid. There are so many mythological references in our culture (muses, narcicissm, Herculean strength, etc.) that learning about their origins is an invaluable lesson we can teach our YA's.

I will definitely check out this series. Thanks for the review.
This sounds like it might be a great companion piece to the new Percy Jackson series that some kids are reading in schools. I highly recommend the Percy Jackson series. My fiance, best friend and I really enjoyed them! They are about demi-gods and the camp they go to that is run by one of the gods, the relationships the demi-gods have with their god/dess parents and the quests they must go on. The modern twists to the stories are so cute, too. That's about all I can say without giving away much of the plots! :) I'd caution you on the first movie, however, as it was an atrocious book-to-film adaptation.
This book looks so cute! Probably a lot of fun to read but, you're right, using this as a serious text in the classroom would be difficult. There's not a lot to work with in terms of challenging themes or questions, especially for young adults.However, the political symbolism in the story is perfect for a history class. I won't list them all here, but the way in which the story comments on the free silver movement, politicians of the 1800s, and even child labor makes learning political history much more interesting! Here's a link to some surprising symoblism of the characters and locations:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/388326/political_symbolism...
a) I read the “Vlad the Impaler: The Man Who Was Dracula”. For starters, I must confess that, while entertaining, it would be a stretch to rationalize using this text in a classroom environment; unless said class was studying Vlad and/or Romanian history. The novel is rather slim and, despite the quality of the illustrations, their prevalence (one every page) seemed to interrupt from the fluidity of the story. However, the images, though gruesome, are brlilliantly illustrated and would capture the attention of any art and/or horror-movie buff. The novel begins with Vlad’s childhood and concludes with his execution. He is not the protagonist, in fact, there is no protagonist; of course, that depends on your opinion of his executioners. 
As a child, Vlad lives as a prisoner to the Ottoman Empire. He and his brother were given over as a type of political/military agreement, we wont kill you because you have my kids, and you wont kill us….”. Vlad and his brother grow apart as his brother becomes more assimilated and Vlad’s hatred of the Ottomans intensifies.
In adulthood, VLad comes to power and this begins the bloody reign that secured his infamy. VLad takes on the name “Dracula”, coming from his fathers “Drako” meaning “order of the dragon”. The novel is not invested in the blood-drinking folklore that we are so familiar with. Rather, puurposfully, the novel focuses on the historical facts that, ultimately, make the Vlad seem viler and blood lusting than the Dracula character with which we associate him. For example, the name “VLad the Imapler” came as a result of his disgusting tactic of inserting a wooden pike into a person’s...umm, lower area…and then raising said pike into the air. Basically, the person slowly dies as their body weight pulls them down the wooden pike like a shish kabob. The novel illustrates this, emphasizing more the horror that his minions and the commonwealth observe, and ultimately ends with those same persons having him executed. Very gory, graphic, etc. this is not a novel for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. Moreover, the prevalence of violence hinges on glorification without intent.

b) The book does meet some of the criteria. Indeed, we are granted insight into the YA viewpoint during Vlad;s youth. However, I wonder if any student could connect to Vlad, and I ask, “would we want them to?” His parents are entirely removed; in fact, they gave him up as a peace offering. Teen issues, though, I think are relatively absent and/or obscure in this novel. While he resents his parents, any many YAs do as well, I don’t belive Vlad the Implaer is who they should be empathizing with. The novel’s pacing and illustrations all lend itself to a YA audience. However, I do not think this novel will challenge them.

c) This novel, in my opnion, does not meet the right criteria to be an effective tool for YA education. While it meets some of the YA criteria, that which it does not meet is too important. For example, the primary weakness in the novel is, in my opinion, the deficient or obscure relevance to YA themes and/or issues. While this novel would entertain and capture the attentions of students, it would be a stretch to say that it would benefit them beyond providing insight into the history of Dracula and Romania; no offense to either. Moreover, I do not think that the novel is academically/intellectually challenging enough for most students. The images every page, the brevity of the novel, and the, at times, overly-succinct writing style leave the reader little food for thought.
I would agree this probably would not be classroom appropriate, but kids might enjoy the tale of Vlad. Entertainment might be the primary value.
Any links/articles or reviews?

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service