Making Curriculum Pop

PART 3 - PARTICIPATION CRITERIA FOR THE NING.

1. Since all of you are reading different books, the idea is to share the many reads students can experience from reading YA literature. For each list you, will get
reviews on approximately 20 or more books.

2. What must be included in your posts are:

a. A short summary

b. A connection to YA Lit criteria

c. A link to a resource for further information about the book/novel( these may include author information, reviews, insight or information about issues the text references.

d. Your opinion/recommendations of the book/novel relating back to criteria. A key
question to consider is whether the book is
classroom appropriate, and, if so, what reading level/grade/studentswouldbenefit from reading the text. If it is not suited for the classroom, if students are reading the book, what is the appeal?           

3. Lastly, you must respond to at least 2 other posts in detail.

Have fun this week; I did... reading your work.

Enjoy.
Pam

Views: 116

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to read this! It sounds terrifying and exciting.
This book sounds very interesting and would definately make an impression. Do Josh and Ellie ever reconcile or talk about what happened between them?
This book sounds like an emotional journey! While it may not be the happiest or most upbeat story, it definitely seems like it sheds some effective light on teenage pregnancy. I actually was going to choose this book for my choice, too, as I thought it seemed very interesting. I agree with you about not using this as a classroom read. While I think you could in a high school setting, (not younger in my opinion), I do not know that it necessarily has enough to go on for a unit although I have not read it so maybe you think differently. It definitely would be useful in school libraries so students would have the opportunity to read this book if they so choose to. I like your idea about reading this to children as a way to discuss teenage pregnancy. It seems like a very useful tool to use in regards to explaining and talking about the realities of teen pregnancy. I feel that in our society today, books like this one seem like a good way to start the whole "birds and the bees" discussion, especially since this book seems to really take an emotional toll on the reader. With that idea in mind, it seems like it would really help younger people understand the concept of being a teenage mother. While there are television shows out there, some of them do not seem to give off the best intentions in my eyes. (At least for younger viewers). For instance, in ABC's "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," it seems to glorify teen pregnancy...at least in minor ways. Two characters in the show get pregnant and in both instances, they have two parents who are willing to help them out. I do not think everyone is as lucky as they are in that regard. I also do not know if a show like that really gives us the emotional effects whereas this book seems to do the job as you said.
Amber,

I like how you bring up that this book could be a useful tool for parents to start a discussion about sex with their children. Talking about characters in a book could provide a neutral, safe environment for kids to share their feelings without feeling like the spotlight is on them.
I like what you said about giving this book to pre-teens/teens to read as a way of letting them get more informed about sex and its consequences. Before having sex you have to be ready, not just to accept the consequences of pregnancy or an std but also just be ready emotionally. This is a less talked reason to wait and not something that you can easily communicate to young adults. This is why I feel the story seems to be such a good one, Ellie and Josh seem to have been unprepared in every sense including emotionally therefore reading about what they each went through seems to be something kids could really learn from.

I also especially like the title and if given to your students/child should be something to discuss. It seems Ellie and Josh literally jumped from childhood into adulthood in a split second and are completely unprepared to deal with such a shock.
Wow. I remember reading Annie's Baby when I was in middle school, and I remember how sad I was after reading it. That story, if you don't know, was an actual diary about teenage pregnancy. Your summary reminded me about that book. What I think makes this book better than the one I read is that it gives insight into the ways that other people felt. I know that the diary aspect of Annie's Baby makes the book more original, but I think that your book would really be more personal for teenagers to read. I'm going to have to read it now too!
Thanks for reminding of Annie's Baby! I forgot about that book! I have been looking for a piece that I could use for Speech. This would be perfect. The audience can relate and connect to the material because unfortunately, teen pregnancy, abandonment,and harmful consequences, are themes many kids know all too well.
This is a book that would really connect with YAL because it doesnt seem to be a happily ever after story like Make Lemonade....I could see kids getting tired of Make Lemonade....because even though Jolly goes through a teen pregnancy and has a hard life, things start to come in to place at the end of the book... I do not know what the ending of this book is, but if it's not one of those cliche endings, where every character gets exactly what they want at the end of the book, it is a book I would want to read:)

I also like all YAL that involve teen pregnancy, because I actually had couple friends that got pregnant while they were in highschool, and two of them dropped out, and one was looked down upon even after she gave birth....
Yeah, the first time I saw a Middle Schooler with a protruding abdomen I thought, "wow, school lunches really have gotten unhealthy," then I realized the girl was pregnant. Once the shock dissolved, I became upset because, at this age sexual activity is based more on YA's curiosity, rather than a search for pleasure. COnsequently, students find little answers to their questions, and the answers they find are often being presented by flawed sources (e.g. MTV's Teen Mom, TMZ, any concert since juvenile-Hannah Montana died and became the newly adolescent and sexually-charged Miley Cyrus). As educators we need to select texts which provide answers to students questions, or at least, show them that these questions are neither unique nor do they have simple answers.
You have that right. Kids are bombarded with so much stuff, it has to be confusing. Miley Cyrus is a good example of this teen dichotomy. It would be nice if kids could be kids, but the world is moving really fast. So....our job is to prepare them and work with them. Is it always sucessful? Probably not.
One of the stats on teen sex is that it is happening at a younger and younger age...too young.
Amber,

I think this book is great for the teenage population in high school. Since teenage pregnancies are at a high, this book is a good way to depict what can happen. Ellie and Josh had sex on “impulse” which many teenagers do. They are not prepared and are not aware of the consequences. Furthermore, some people may feel betrayed after the other person flees and no emotions are involved. Sometimes both partners are not on the same page. Others are confused and do not know if they are ready, such as Josh.

This book allows readers to understand that all teenagers go through the same emotions. One thing to realize is that sex is not the answer nor is it the cool thing to do. People should be ready for this and be aware of the consequences. This would be a useful book to teach to students who are not aware of the consequences that teen pregnancies could bring. I think a health teacher could incorporate this book into her lesson when teaching students about sex. I’m interested to know what Ellie’s decision was.

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service