Making Curriculum Pop

The American Library Association's 2015 Library Innovation Toolkit has just been published.

I co-wrote the chapter on working with children and young people, "Monsters, Rockets, and Baby Racers", with Tracie Mauro of Australia's Parkes Library. Our programs have also been successfully applied in schools, museums, and public spaces.

Drawing on Professor Jackie Marsh's notion of pop culture as children's folk culture, we take an immersive, play-based approach to learning. We draw together media, artistic creation, and roleplay to engage young library users. 

We share the principles underpinning play-based national-award-winning youth programs like:

You'll also find other great articles from librarians and educators around the world, on everything from library comics festivals to new ways of using digital media.

Check out the Library Innovation Toolkit now.

Views: 14

Replies to This Discussion

Fabulous stuff, Matt. I have just purchased The Library Innovation Toolkit (ebook) and have been having a look at your various activities via websites (starting with those above), especially at Parkes Library (I am a teacher librarian at a boys school in Sydney, and used to work in public libraries as well). Great ideas - thanks for sharing! 

Thank you, Marita - feel free to get in touch through my site or on Twitter, where I'm @drmattfinch 

Good luck with all your adventures at the school :)

Just a follow-up, Marita, that you may also enjoy our newly released TimeQuest materials from New Zealand: http://mcpopmb.ning.com/group/gaminginschool/forum/topics/timequest...

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service