Teach, Think, Play 2009 was an exciting conference/class featuring
many wonderful speakers including Academy Award winning
screenwriter William Goldman and master puppeteer Kevin Clash, the
voice of Elmo. Course participants were asked to write about and
discuss sessions with TTP classmates on MC POP. If you weren't
there, these writings capture students teaching, thinking and
WHY FILM MATTERS: TEACHING IN THE AGE OF YOUTUBE AND
DR. ALAN TEASLEY
Faculty @ School of Education, Duke
University & co-author of Reel Conversations: Reading Films
with Young Adults
• Kate Burch - Why Teach
• Megan Lucas - "Alan Teasley on 'How to Read a Film'"
“NICE GENES, GOVERNOR SCHWARZENEGGER!” HOW THE 6TH DAY FRAMED
OUR GENETICS UNIT
& NAPOLEON KNIGHT
Living Environment Teacher @ Banana
Kelly High School, South Bronx, NYC
• Caitlin Nagle - Reflection on Science and Film in the Classroom at
EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT GENDER (BUT WERE
AFRAID TO LEARN FROM CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD COMEDIES)
MARY T. CHRISTEL
Communication Arts Teacher @ Adlai E.
Stevenson High School, Lincolnshire, IL, co-author of Seeing and
Believing: How to Teach Media Literacy in the English Classroom and
co-editor of Lesson Plans for Creating Media-Rich Classrooms
• Dina Paulson - "Reflection Paper: 2009 Teach, Think, Play III: The
Moving Image in the Classroom"
KIDS, CURRICULUM, AND TALKING CHICKENS: BEHIND THE SCENES IN
DR. RENEE CHEROW-O’LEARY
Assistant Professor of
English Education @ Teachers College, Columbia University &
children’s media consultant
BETSY OLIPHANT Director of Production @ PBS Kids Sprout
SCOTT CAMERON Director of Education and Research @ Sesame
• Sean Owens - "Reflection: Behind The Scenes in Kids TV"
• Blair Chipkin - "PBS Sprout and The Electric Company: Using Media
in Early Childhood Classrooms"
• Julia Kim - "Educational shows were never this fun when I was
• Leticia C. Sanchez - "Kids
Sprout, Electric Companyand Dr. Chere-O'Leary" (spelling correction
pending in title)
• Callie Sharkey - "Sprout and The Electric Company"
MY LIFE AS A FURRY RED MONSTER: WHAT BEING ELMO HAS TAUGHT ME
ABOUT LIFE, LOVE AND LAUGHING OUT LOUD
KEVIN CLASH Emmy Award Winning Senior Puppet Coordinator, Director
& Senior Creative Advisor for Sesame Workshop
• Kevin (Charles) Gray -
"Elmo and Emotional Intelligence"
• Alice King -"ELMO!!!"
FLIPBOOKS AND THAUMATROPES: A BEGINNING LOOK AT FILM
DR. BELINHA DE ABREU
Assistant Professor @ Drexel
University & author of Teaching Media Literacy A How-To-Do-It
• Virginia Pourakis - "Flipbooks and Thaumatropes: A Beginning Look at
MEDIA THAT MATTERS FILM FESTIVAL: SCREENING & DISCUSSION OF
Media That Matters Film Festival
AMBIKA SAMARTHYA - Director of short film "Ashray" and feature
• Ann Murphy - "MediaThatMatters Film Festival"
• Lavie Raven - Media That Matters: Tools for Change
• Cynthia Scalone - "Media That Matters!"
• Arshi Saeed - "Media That Matters and Social Justice"
THE NEW LITERACIES MOVEMENT AND WEB 2.0: ROADBLOCKS AND
DR. WILLIAM KIST
Associate Professor of Teaching
Leadership and Curriculum Studies at Kent State University, Kent,
OH & author of New Literacies in Action
• Christine (Wynne) Calcutt -
"Reflection on Dr. Kist's Presentation: The New
• Jacobe Bell -
"Reflection on William Kist for TTP3"
• Danielle DaGiau -
• Jennifer Lee - "Creative Uses for Music in the Classroom"
• Yoonkyung Lee - "Reflection on Dr. Kist - New Literacies in
• Elizabeth So - "Bringing New Literacies in to the Classroom:
Reflection on Dr. Kist's Presentation"
BUILDING HISTORICAL BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE USING FILM
English & Social Studies Teacher @
Stratford Middle School Bloomingdale, IL, doctoral candidate in
Education @ Aurora University, Humanities and Education Professor @
Benedictine, Roosevelt Universities, Chicago, IL
• Cheza Al-Kudmani - "Media circles!"
• Sophy Joseph - "Media Circles Toward Social Action"
• Daniella Nusblat - "Media Circles"
• Amy Roth - "Cooperative Learning and Media Circles with Pam
TEACHING THROUGH FILM: AN INTERDISCIPLINARY APPROACH
CATHERINE GOULEY An award-winning author of books for young adults
and curriculum writer for The Story of Movies educational outreach
program developed by The Film Foundation, Los Angeles, CA
• Alex Jones - "Literacy Through Video Narratives: Reflection on
Catherine Gourley's Presentation"
• Alicia Lerman - "'Read the book, watch the movie?' Reflections on
Catherine Gourley's Interdisciplinary Teaching Approach"
• Jiyean Yoon - "Reflection on Catherine Gourley's 'Teaching
Through Film: An Interdisciplinary Approach'"
SHOW, DON'T TELL: ASSESSING LITERACY THROUGH VIDEO
DR. JENNIFER POWERS
Assistant Professor of Education
Green Mountain College, Poultney, VT
• Kate Rosenbloom - "Thoughts on Jen Powers' Teach, Think, Play 2009
• Jennifer Spence - "Reflection on Jen Powers’ 'Show Don’t Tell:
Assessing Literacy Through Video'"
ADVENTURES IN THE SCREEN TRADE WITH WILLIAM GOLDMAN
Author, The Princess Bride (novel
& screenplay) and two-time Academy Award Winner for his
screenplays All The Presidents Men
& Butch Cassidy
and the Sundance Kid
• Diane Dobry - "William
Goldman at Teach, Think, Play – April 5, 2009"
• Cailin Nagle - "Reflection on William Goldman at TTP 2009"
• Lorne Schussel - "Goldman"
OCTOPODI - PENDING RRG POST
• Leeran Harel
• Mollie McAllister