Making Curriculum Pop

Hi all,

Matt and I are running a series of blog posts drawn from the Notable Comics list in the back of the Best American Comics 2010 (of which we're the series editors). We always feel like these great comics may fall through the cracks, and wanted to spotlight them, so we're doing a post a day (for the next 71 weekdays!) with links and images. We're also noting as much as we can what we think is the interest/appropriateness age level.

We'd love to know if this is helpful/interesting to you, and if there's anything we can do to make the feature more useful for teachers. Please comment here, or, even better, on the posts themselves.

Here's the site:
http://dw-wp.com/

Here's the intro post:
http://dw-wp.com/2011/01/introduction-meet-the-notable-comics-of-2010/

You can also follow us on Twitter @dwandwp or friend me on Facebook, and you'll get automatic notifications as these posts go up.

Jessica Abel

Views: 16

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds cool! I'll follow! I actually picked this book up in October and it's got some great little short works that can be very useful in the classroom to supplement larger novels or to focus on specific skills. My students enjoyed the parody included about McCloud's "pipe" example from chapter 2 of Understanding Comics. The excerpt from Asterios Polyp should get people reading that novel. I am still trying to read and re-read and enjoy everything going on in that graphic novel. I like how there are so many "unknown" little comics narratives in the book. Well done!  Mind if I post your blog link on my website too? (graphicnovelsandhighschoolenglish.com)

Not at all! Link away. 

And as to "unknown" comics, well, that's our job! There's so much great stuff coming out these days, sometimes it makes me sad to see yet another class reading Persepolis (not that there's anything wrong with that book...). 

RSS

Events

© 2024   Created by Ryan Goble.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service